ST. LOUIS — Penguins coach Dan Bylsma had planned to restrict defenseman Kris Letang's ice time when the All-Star returned after a seven-week absence with a concussion.
Then, Bylsma and center Sidney Crosby watched Letang skate under the supervision of strength and conditioning coach Mike Kadar.
"We both were shaking our heads about how easy it looks for (Letang) and how well he can skate," Bylsma said.
Letang doesn't necessarily make the game look easy, but he has made his return look routine. And Bylsma hasn't hesitated to use him.
"I knew he was in good condition and skating really well, so it's not real surprising," Bylsma said. "But it is surprising that he maybe hasn't missed too much of a beat with the significant number of games he did miss."
When Letang returned last week against the New York Rangers at Madison Square Garden, the Penguins had won three in a row. They probably wouldn't be riding a seven-game winning streak now if not for Letang.
He has scored twice and made one of the defensive plays of the season: catching Montreal's Tomas Plekanec from behind on a breakaway. That he recently missed 21 games is almost forgotten.
"I'm impressed but not surprised," defenseman Zbynek Michalek said. "He's in great shape. He's probably the best athlete on our team, and he really worked hard to get back."
Letang's conditioning always has been impressive. Like former Penguins defenseman Sergei Zubov, Letang never looks tired, but his ability to play without evidence of rust has particularly impressed teammates.
"He's played better than we expected," defense partner Brooks Orpik said. "He's just such a talented kid."
Letang won't get a week off like most of his teammates since he was selected to play in Sunday's All-Star Game in Ottawa. Missing two months didn't diminish the fact that he has emerged as a star.
His return has been especially beneficial considering Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek are playing below expectations. Bylsma has relied heavily upon the pairing of Letang and Orpik, as evidenced by Letang's average of 26 minutes per game since he returned.
"We're used to playing together, and we're comfortable right now," Orpik said. "He keeps himself in really good shape. ... He's been really good."
Letang has taken a more modest approach to his play. He's cognizant of his role in St. Louis' Patrik Berglund being awarded (and converting) a penalty shot in Tuesday's victory and that he's 0 for 2 in shootout attempts since returning.
"I need to get better everywhere," he said.
- Post ASG: Kris Letang (1/29/12) Kris Letang talks ...
- More All Star Kris Ottawa January 2012
- All Star Kris
- Post-Skills Competition: Letang (1/28/12) Kris Let...
- Letang All Star 2012 in Ottawa January 2012
- ASG: Kris Letang (1/26/12) Kris Letang talks to th...
- ASG Media Day: Kris Letang (1/27/12)
- In the Room Episode 3 I spy Kris Letang in th...
- NHL 2012 All Star Draft Predictions
- Letang's return has been a welcome one for streaki...
- UPMC Spotlight: Kris Letang (1/25/12)
- Letang 2012 All Star
- Letang Honored to be Named an All-Star
- Kris Letang's goal from the Pens/Caps game 1-22-12...
- Nemacolin Big 5 (1/22/12) This Nemacolin Big 5 vid...
- Kris back in action on 1-19-12 against the New Yor...
- Post Game: Kris Letang (1/19/12)
- 1/19/2012 - Kris Letang Pregame Interview with Dan...
- Game Day: Kris Letang (1/19/12)
- Letang Will Play Tonight vs. NYR
- Recent Pictures of Kris January 17 and 18 of 2012
- Link with Letang interview and other links about K...
- Transcript of Letang interview with the media toda...
- Letang is BACK!!!!!!!!!! 1-17-12
- Letang Returns to Practice 1-17-12
- Another article just saying Kris will be coming ba...
- Letang coming back soon YAY
- Thank you PensInsideScoop on twitter for this grea...
- Old screencap I found online. I did not take it j...
- Update on Kris
- Kris is Skating
- Kris Update thanks to twitter
- New Blog Article about Kris Letang from PensBlog
- Kris is practice on the ice again YAY :)
- Kris is practicing on the ice again YAY :)
- Update on Kris 1-6-12
- Latest update on Kris from Pens twitter
- Thanks to Twitter this is the lastest update on Kr...
- ▼ January (38)
- ► 2011 (557)
- ► 2010 (225)