Defenseman Letang close to returning with Penguins
Defenseman Kris Letang could be back in the Penguins' lineup sooner than expected.
General manager Ray Shero confirmed Monday that Letang has been cleared for contact and game action.
Letang will not play Tuesday night when the Penguins host Carolina, but he could be back within the next week. He will skate with the Penguins during their morning skate Monday.
"Once he feels ready," Shero said, "he'll play. He's been cleared for practice. Kris is doing really well."
The defenseman has not played since absorbing a hit from Montreal's Max Pacioretty on Nov. 26. Letang, whose nose was broken by the hit, returned in that game and scored the game-winner in overtime. He was diagnosed with a concussion a week later.
Pacioretty was suspended three games for violating Rule 48, which prohibits direct contact to a player's head.
"We're all looking forward to having him back," Shero said. "He's grown into one of the really good, young defensemen in our game. We have missed him very much."
Letang had 19 points in 22 games before being injured.
Although the Penguins have almost a week off during the all-star break later this month, Shero said the team will not force Letang to wait until after the break, even though it would give him a few more days to prepare for his return.
"The break isn't that long anyway," Shero said. "He's cleared to play, so we're going to have him out there when he feels like he can go, whenever that is.
- Post ASG: Kris Letang (1/29/12) Kris Letang talks ...
- More All Star Kris Ottawa January 2012
- All Star Kris
- Post-Skills Competition: Letang (1/28/12) Kris Let...
- Letang All Star 2012 in Ottawa January 2012
- ASG: Kris Letang (1/26/12) Kris Letang talks to th...
- ASG Media Day: Kris Letang (1/27/12)
- In the Room Episode 3 I spy Kris Letang in th...
- NHL 2012 All Star Draft Predictions
- Letang's return has been a welcome one for streaki...
- UPMC Spotlight: Kris Letang (1/25/12)
- Letang 2012 All Star
- Letang Honored to be Named an All-Star
- Kris Letang's goal from the Pens/Caps game 1-22-12...
- Nemacolin Big 5 (1/22/12) This Nemacolin Big 5 vid...
- Kris back in action on 1-19-12 against the New Yor...
- Post Game: Kris Letang (1/19/12)
- 1/19/2012 - Kris Letang Pregame Interview with Dan...
- Game Day: Kris Letang (1/19/12)
- Letang Will Play Tonight vs. NYR
- Recent Pictures of Kris January 17 and 18 of 2012
- Link with Letang interview and other links about K...
- Transcript of Letang interview with the media toda...
- Letang is BACK!!!!!!!!!! 1-17-12
- Letang Returns to Practice 1-17-12
- Another article just saying Kris will be coming ba...
- Letang coming back soon YAY
- Thank you PensInsideScoop on twitter for this grea...
- Old screencap I found online. I did not take it j...
- Update on Kris
- Kris is Skating
- Kris Update thanks to twitter
- New Blog Article about Kris Letang from PensBlog
- Kris is practice on the ice again YAY :)
- Kris is practicing on the ice again YAY :)
- Update on Kris 1-6-12
- Latest update on Kris from Pens twitter
- Thanks to Twitter this is the lastest update on Kr...
- ▼ January (38)
- ► 2011 (557)
- ► 2010 (225)