Thanks to some great work by head coach Dan Bylsma – and a roster full of hustling, hardworking players – the Pittsburgh Penguins remain competitive without Sidney Crosby and Evgeni Malkin.
Yet if there’s one player who hit a wall without those two superstars, it is defenseman Kris Letang.
Whether you blame his struggles on the absence of those two forwards or the wear and tear that comes from playing big minutes in the post-Sergei Gonchar days, there’s little doubt that Letang is running out of steam. He began the season on a torrid pace, scoring 41 points in 50 games, but now he only has five points in his last 21. Things have been especially troubling lately, though, as he only has one assist and zero goals in his last 12 games.
His struggles aren’t limited to the offensive end, either. After producing positive plus minus ratings in every month through the All-Star Game, Letang sported an ugly -9 in February and holds a -1 with zero points in seven March games.
It would be hasty to wonder if Letang’s hot start was just a mirage, especially considering the drop in quality supporting cast members around him. Along with losing Crosby and Malkin – which surely hurts his power play numbers – Letang also has been without the safety net provided by defenseman Brooks Orpik and the one-two offensive punch provided by fellow scoring blueliner Alex Goligoski. Orpik has been injured while Goligoski is no longer on the team’s roster thanks to the James Neal trade.
A Penguins fan asked Pittsburgh Post-Gazette beat reporter Dave Molinari about Letang’s issues, leading to this response.
While it’s painfully obvious that Letang’s play has slipped – he has one point, an assist, in his past 12 games and recently went 10 in a row without recording a positive plus-minus rating – his exceptional play during the early months of the season makes his slump seem even worse than it is. Whether it was realistic to expect a 23-year-old playing the toughest position in the game to remain at the rarefied level he so often reached during the first half of the season is open to debate, but his play into January certainly raised the bar of expectations.
Whether Letang really believed that it was his responsibility to fill the offensive void created by the loss of Crosby and Malkin isn’t known, but the reality is that there aren’t many defensemen shy of Bobby Orr and Paul Coffey in their primes who could even think of putting up enough points to do that. And if Letang did feel that way, he surely should have realized long ago that it wasn’t working the way he hoped.
That Letang has lost his swagger, as you put it, shouldn’t surprise anyone, because even the most accomplished player’s confidence suffers when he slips into a significant slump. It’s tough to be assertive when you’re doubting your abilities. The good news in that regard is, once Letang gets his game back in sync – and that will happen at some point, although there’s no guarantee it will be this season – his swagger will come back, too.
Overall, the Penguins shouldn’t be worried about Letang in the long term, but it’s tough to avoid speculation that he might struggle during the remainder of this season and the playoffs. Of course, that could all change if a well-rested Crosby finds his way back into the lineup.
- Letang 2nd intermission interview. 3/31/11
- Kris Letang pics
- Random Kris pics for your enjoyment
- Penguins vs Flyers 3-30-11
- Penguins vs Panthers 3-27-11
- Penguins Practice 3-29-11
- Brief snippet about Letang
- Ice Time cover
- Penguins vs Devils 3-25-11
- Penguins vs Devils 3-25-11
- Penguins vs Flyers 3-24-11
- Post-Game: Kris Letang (03/24/11)
- Quote about Kris
- Letang: Cooke deserved suspension | Hockey | Sport...
- Penguins vs Red Wings 3/22/11 (Pens Win) Kris ge...
- Game-Day: Kris Letang (3/21/11)
- Blackberry NHL All Access pregame show spotlight o...
- Pictures from the Pens today's practice in Detroit...
- From the Pens website today 3/21/11
- 03/20/2011 - Kris Letang pregame Interview NBC
- Cool pic of Tanger on the ice
- Kris Letang NBC interview (Thanks for "58 Reasons ...
- Game of the Week preview: Should the Penguins be w...
- Penguins at the Skates and Plates March 2011
- Skates & Plates (3/18/11)
- Penguins Skates and Plates 2011
- Video about Kris Letang from the Pittsburgh Pengui...
- Short Article about Letang being hit 3-17-11
- Short article about Letang being hit during the Pe...
- Status of Kris Letang from getting hit from yester...
- Kris Letang pic spam
- My Friend Dee made this so its hers!!!! Enjoy
- Penguins vs Oilers 3-13-11
- Kris playing against the Montreal Canadians 3-12-1...
- Kool Letang shirt
- March 12, 2011 - Kris Letang FSN Faceoff Pregame
- Penguins vs Bruins 3-8-11
- Letang for the Norris Trophy!!!
- Tanger 3-11-11
- Off-Day: Kris Letang (3/11/11)
- New article about the some of the French Canadian ...
- Kris shooting a promo for the upcoming NHL playoff...
- Funny pic of Kris
- 03/08/2011 - Kris Letang pregame
- Children's Luncheon (03/07/11)
- Game-Day: Kris Letang (3/8/11)
- Letang and his jersey
- Penguins Charity Lunch for some special kids at th...
- Letang getting thrown out of the game because of h...
- Article about Letang and his jersey tie down situa...
- Kris getting smashed into the boards by a Devils p...
- 3/2/2011 - Pregame - Kris Letang and more
- Kris Letang vs Travis Zajac, Mar 4, 2011
- Kris on the ice
- Kris Letang is BlackBerry Pregame Show as tonight'...
- Picture from the Penguins practice today 3-2-11
- Pens Practice 3-1-11
- New Article about Letang
- ▼ March (62)
- ► 2010 (225)