Friday, September 17, 2010

Article/Interview with Kris Letang

With Sergei Gonchar gone, Kris Letang figures to have an elevated role on defense this season as he enters the first year of a new contract. He spoke today about the re-tooled defense, new teammate Arron Asham, Jordan Staal and the power play.

Does the defense have something to prove this season:

"Yeah I think we want to prove we’re a good defensive team. We lost Gonchar and everybody thinks we’re going to be worse. But we’re a good group. We’re mobile but I think we have a lot to prove a lot."

On adding defensemen Paul Martin and Zbynek Michalek:

"It brings a lot of depth. I think we’re a better all around defensive squad now."

On Todd Reirden replacing Mike Yeo as the coach of the defensemen:

"Todd used to play the game as a defenseman so he knows what we’re going through. We look forward to working with him."

Is he happy he doesn't have to face Arron Asham on the forecheck any longer:

"Yeah, that’s the first thing I said when he signed with us because it was a relief. When you play against him, he’s really tough. He won’t give you any chance to get rid of the puck."

On losing Staal:
Letang on defense, Asham and the Power Play 9/17/10



"He’s a really important player. He’s one of the best two-way players in the league. It’s important for other guys to step in and step up."

Will he take over as the power-play quarterback:

"If they let me I will. For now, we don’t know anything. We don’t have anything set up. Obviously it’s there for anyone who wants to take it. It’s a big part of our team. I might jump in and do that. I had a strong playoff last year. I think I should build on that."


Source
http://blogs.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/sports/empty-netters/21570-letang-on-defense-asham-and-the-power-play-09-17-10?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

No comments:

Post a Comment


Followers